Thursday, 26 November 2009

Pulling no punches

I spent last night trawling YouTube for yuks as Lia was watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and some other god-awful shit with Helen Hunt in it. What I came across has me chuckling as I write this. I have known of the acerbic Christopher Hitchens for some time, after buying one of his books a while back which put forward the case for prosecuting Henry Kissinger for war crimes for, amongst other things, his role in the illegal bombing of Cambodia during the Vietnam War. I have sort of followed his writing since then, the most recent standout example of which was the discovery that, yes, waterboarding does constitute torture. But it’s on the air that this acid-tongued commentator really brings a smile to my face. An example is this incredible deconstruction of Jerry Falwell’s legacy on CNN and Fox News, following the death of the fat old bigot in 2007. It’s worth watching these two videos in order, as he got the invite to go on the second show following the fallout from his appearance on the first. The sign-off line from Hitchens in the final clip is incredible. I don’t know if it’s his, but I’m stealing it – “If you gave him an enema you could bury him in a matchbox”. Genius.



No comments:

Post a Comment